5th November 2019
Q: What is a cannabis factory, and how do I spot one?
A: In our experience, most tenants will respect your property and the terms in the agreement. However, there are a small minority that will cause problems. Some problems are minor, and some are a little more on the larger scale, for example finding that your property is being used as a cannabis factory.
The media might have you think that this is a common occurrence, however, in over 15 years in the industry we have only come across this issue once. They can be easily identified, as you will find green plants everywhere, irrigation systems hanging from the ceiling, and lighting and ventilation fans within the property. That is all very well if you have access inside the property. However, even without access inside, there are ways of spotting one.
Tell-tale signs from the outside are:
- smell – it is strong and sickly sweet
- you spot equipment such as lighting racks and ventilation fans being taken in
- perhaps the windows have been blacked out or permanently covered
- people coming and going at all times of the day and night
- through a gap in the window you spot strong lights being left on day and night
- constantly misted windows and signs of condensation
If you suspect that your property is being used as a cannabis factory, you must inform the police right away, and refrain from tackling any of the occupants themselves as they are likely to be criminals involved in serious crime.