Agony Agent is here to help

17th September 2019

Q: My tenant has only been paying half the rent of what is due, for the last three months.  What should I do?

A: First, I would need to know if there is a reason behind the change in payments.  More common than not, this type of situation falls into two categories, personal circumstances and property issues.

If this falls into property issues, you need to ask yourself if there is something broken or not working in the property that might be affecting their day to day living.  This could be the reason, but even if this is the case they are not allowed to not pay the rent.  They can only withhold this until the issue is fixed, and once fixed they will have to make the payments up to date.

There are a set of rules that a tenant must follow, if they decide to do this.  They rarely get this procedure correct.

If this rental payment issue is down to personal reasons, for example, loss of job, then it is best to act fast and serve your tenant notice to leave the property, either by a Section 21, or a Section 8 if they then roll on two months’ arrears.

Do get in touch to discuss this further, and see how we can assist you with this.

Suresh Vagjiani
Suresh Vagjiani
Articles: 819