Agony Agent is here to help!

5th March 2019

Q:  What kind of agreement do I need in place if I was to short let my BTL?

A:  There are some agents and landlords out there that run the risk of either no or the wrong agreement.  In some cases, I have had landlords approach me and say that they have actually given their tenants two months on an Assured Shorthold tenancy.  As many of you may be aware, in order for an AST to be an AST it must conform to a minimum term of six months.

Now, if you provided your short lets with an AST you may find it very difficult to have them removed from the property if they choose not to leave at the end of their stay.  You would have to wait four months minimum before you are able to give notice to leave at the end of month six.  This is down to the Deregulation Act that came into force on 1st October 2016.

The best thing for you to do would be to either rent through a reputable agent or a tour operator.  However, if you are adamant you want to do yourself, I suggest that you draft a Holiday Let agreement.

If you would like further information on this, please don’t hesitate to contact us:

Richard Bond

Suresh Vagjiani
Suresh Vagjiani
Articles: 819