Agony Agent is here to help!

Q: Is contents insurance my tenant’s responsibility?

A:  This may come as a surprise to you, but, both you and the tenant need to take out contents insurance.

As your property may be prone to a higher number of risks, and many of these risks may not be covered under a standard home insurance policy, you need to have landlord contents insurance, rather than the standard one.  It is not a legal requirement, but it can keep you protected from instances that are out of your control.

Landlord insurance usually covers:

  • Fixtures & fittings
  • Accidental damage
  • Public liability and property owner’s liability
  • Alternative accommodation costs
  • Loss of rent
  • Glass and lock replacement
  • Landlord’s contents e.g. furniture

Be sure to compare landlord insurance policies in order to find one that covers your needs.

What about tenant insurance?

Insurance for tenants is like regular contents insurance, which covers their personal belongings, however, theirs additionally includes “tenants liability insurance”.   This means, they would be able to claim for accidental damages to your property in addition to their own; so you won’t need to tear your hair out if they spill a glass of red on your sofa.

If you have any questions, or if you need help managing your rental property, feel free to get in touch.

Richard Bond

Suresh Vagjiani
Suresh Vagjiani
Articles: 819