read more articles

Agony Agent is here to help!

13th November 2018

Q:  Is it necessary for me to get an electricity certificate for my BTL property?

A:  Yes.  Your electrics should always be covered by an in date Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR).  It is not a legal requirement to have one, however, if you rent out a property and your tenant is electrocuted due to unsafe electrics then you could be prosecuted.

Claiming that you were unaware of the condition of the electrics will not be a valid defence by the way.  In many areas, the local council will insist on a Condition Report for licencing rental properties such as HMOs.

Having an EICR is great practice to have done at the start of any purchase or refurb, as this should show up any hidden dangers!  I was asked to let a property, which had undergone a quick mini refurb, the owner had not arranged for an EICR.  The property looked very nice, but for some reason the kitchen had not been touched and was very outdated.  The property wasn’t letting due to the kitchen, so it was decided that the kitchen should be replaced.  It was only when we did this did we notice a series of electrical death traps hidden within the walls.  A check at the start would have saved some costly work.

You should also check your insurance, as many landlord’s insurances will require an electrical report or a visual report at the very least.

Do get in touch if you need any property management assistance.

Richard Bond

Register with us now to receive emails about our property opportunities, articles and event information!

Sow & Reap will process the data you submit for the purposes of emailing you property opportunities, articles, and event information. Only supply your phone number if you are happy to be telephoned by us regarding the same, otherwise please enter 0. In the comments box, please write “Consent to SMS” if you would like to be occasionally notified of property opportunities and our events via SMS.
Please only click ‘Send’ if you consent to Sow & Reap processing your data for this purpose.

Get to know us

If you want to know more about how investing in Central London property can get you great results, then don't hesitate to give us a call.

Sow & Reap

Meridien House,
42 Upper Berkeley Street,
London, W1H 5PW

T: 0207 993 0103

Sow & Reap

1008, Gala Empire,
Opp. Doordarshan Tower,
Drive-in Road, Thaltej,
Ahmedabad - 380052
Gujarat, India