Agony Agent is here to help!

29th September 2018

Q: I have two unrelated tenants staying in my buy to let property. Do I need an HMO licence?

A: This would depend on the location of your property and which council controls the area. You may not currently need a mandatory licence, but some councils require an additional licence. I would recommend you contact your local council for further information.

Change is fast approaching for HMOs!

As of the 1st of October 2018, there are some important changes coming into effect. These changes could affect your current HMO or pull your current property into this bracket.

Currently, pre October 2018, an HMO is defined as “a property occupied by 5 or more people, forming two or more separate households, and comprising three or more storeys”. Although, local councils may have their own criteria. One of the key changes that will come into effect, is the removal of the three or more storeys part.

Please do make sure you have a licence, and have complied with the changes prior to 1st October 2018. It is really important to work with your local authority to get this right. If you need help, or if you would like us to do this for you, please get in touch.

Richard Bond

Suresh Vagjiani
Suresh Vagjiani
Articles: 819