read more articles

Agony Agent is here to help

4th August 2018

Q: My tenant has only been paying half the rent of what is due, for the last three months.  What should I do?

A: First, I would need to know if there is a reason behind the change in payments.  More common than not, this type of situation falls into two categories, personal circumstances and property issues.

If this falls into property issues, you need to ask yourself if there is something broken or not working in the property that might be affecting their day to day living.  This could be the reason, but even if this is the case then they are not allowed to not pay the rent.  They can only withhold this until the issue if fixed, and once fixed they will have to make the payments up to date.

There are a set of rules that a tenant must follow, if they decide to do this.  They rarely get this procedure correct.

If this rental payment issue is down to personal reasons, for example, loss of job, then it is best to act fast and serve your tenant notice to leave the property, either by a Section 21, or a Section 8 if they then roll on two months arrears.

I would suggest that you give me a call at the office to discuss this further, and see how we can offer you some free independent help.

Richard Bond

Register with us now to receive emails about our property opportunities, articles and event information!

Sow & Reap will process the data you submit for the purposes of emailing you property opportunities, articles, and event information. Only supply your phone number if you are happy to be telephoned by us regarding the same, otherwise please enter 0. In the comments box, please write “Consent to SMS” if you would like to be occasionally notified of property opportunities and our events via SMS.
Please only click ‘Send’ if you consent to Sow & Reap processing your data for this purpose.

Get to know us

If you want to know more about how investing in Central London property can get you great results, then don't hesitate to give us a call.

Sow & Reap

Meridien House,
42 Upper Berkeley Street,
London, W1H 5PW

T: 0207 993 0103

Sow & Reap

1008, Gala Empire,
Opp. Doordarshan Tower,
Drive-in Road, Thaltej,
Ahmedabad - 380052
Gujarat, India