Agony Agent is here to help!

8th July 2020

Q: How often do I need to carry out Gas Safety inspections on my Buy to Let property?

A: It is a legal requirement for all rental properties to have this conducted every 12 months, or when a new gas appliance is introduced to the rental property.

You are legally required under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998 to maintain all gas appliances and flues that have been provided for your tenants. No matter who you are or what type of property you own, you are required by law to ensure that each gas appliance in the property receives an annual safety inspection; this includes the boiler, oven, hob, fire and anything else that you have supplied in the property.

Even if you have an agent involved in looking after your property, you should always request a copy of your gas safety certificate, so you know that this has been completed as good practice. It will keep you safe in the knowledge that the work has been completed.

Please be aware that there are many other legal requirements, for example smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and electrical safety certificates…. the list goes on. Please do get in touch if you would like further information.

Suresh Vagjiani
Suresh Vagjiani
Articles: 819