read more articles

Agony Agent is here to help!

17th December 2019

Q: Due to a huge leak in my flat the tenants cannot live there until it is fixed.  What should I do?

A: Apart from the obvious problem of the leak, your major problem is your tenants and where to put them!  Act quickly.  Find a hotel locally and book a room for them.  Now, we are not talking a hostel, and neither are we talking about a luxury hotel.  Something in the middle.  Unless of course your flat is high end, in which case a decent hotel will be necessary.

Now comes the painful question: do you have landlord insurance?  If you don’t then this is going to be very very expensive for you.  If you do have this in place then you need to give them a call.  Most landlord insurances will cover the issue you have with the leak in terms of repair works, loss of income (as you will not be able to charge the tenants rent for an unhabitual property) and fingers crossed the alternative accommodation for your tenants.

All insurance companies work differently.  Some will want you to rent a self catering apartment and they will pay for it, and some might ask you to pay for it and then claim it back from them.

Keep on top of the insurance company and give your tenants daily updates on the situation.

If you need any other property management guidance, please do get in touch.

Register with us now to receive emails about our property opportunities, articles and event information!

Sow & Reap will process the data you submit for the purposes of emailing you property opportunities, articles, and event information. Only supply your phone number if you are happy to be telephoned by us regarding the same, otherwise please enter 0. In the comments box, please write “Consent to SMS” if you would like to be occasionally notified of property opportunities and our events via SMS.
Please only click ‘Send’ if you consent to Sow & Reap processing your data for this purpose.

Get to know us

If you want to know more about how investing in Central London property can get you great results, then don't hesitate to give us a call.

Sow & Reap

Meridien House,
42 Upper Berkeley Street,
London, W1H 5PW

T: 0207 993 0103

Sow & Reap

1008, Gala Empire,
Opp. Doordarshan Tower,
Drive-in Road, Thaltej,
Ahmedabad - 380052
Gujarat, India